Safety Stories

Did you or a loved one have a fire or CO experience that you’d like to share? Tell us about it.

 
Feb. 17, 2015

Teaching Kids Helped To Avert A Tragedy

My wife and I were in line with friends for a John Mayer concert some years back when our son called unexpectedly. He said he and his sister were feeling “a bit weird” and smelled something funny in the house. I asked him if it smelled like rotten eggs, thinking perhaps the gas stove had been left on. No, he said, it smelled dirty and stinky but not like bad eggs. Very worried, we called the husband of one of the ladies we were with who lived nearby. He raced over and the kids met him at the front door. He opened the window to their bedroom and then loaded the kids in the car for a night at their place. After the concert, we opened a number of windows for fresh air and had a very restless sleep.... Read More

Categories : Carbon Monoxide Safety

Dec. 21, 2014

My Story Could Save Your Life

This is the story of what has happened to me over the last 3 months. I urge you to PLEASE read it. It could save your life or keep you from becoming very, very ill! Flashback to 3 months ago: I start feeling ill with dizzy spells and the feeling of coming down with the flu. A couple of weeks go by and I am still feeling this way. I decided I better see a doctor because something is just not right. The doctor tells me it sounds like I have hypoglycemia and makes an appointment for me to meet with the dietitian. After meeting with the dietitian and following her advice a couple weeks go by and I still feel ill. I go back to my family doctor and he decides he is going to test me for... Read More

Categories : Carbon Monoxide

Dec. 13, 2014

RCMP Family Feels Very Lucky

My husband is an RCMP Sgt and when we moved to a force house in 2002 we all suffered CO poisoning from a leaky furnace. We thought it was mould and we kept the windows cracked. We had a plug in detector that went off when I started the furnace up again for the winter. Anyways, we were lucky. We had low-level long term poisoning and are not sure what that entails except it has definitely affected our frontal lobe functioning from the testing we have had done. Our boys seem to have adapted to their loss by learning in other ways. I think you are doing very important work. People seemed shocked that we got CO poisoning and the doctors are very unaware. That first winter when we were all sick we went every couple of weeks to... Read More

Categories : Carbon Monoxide Safety